Saturday, July 19, 2014

Quick Bites - Part 2


When I posted Quick Bites - Part 1 last month, my intention was to do this second post in just a matter of days. Somehow those days flew right by me. So here, one month later, I finally got my act together to present another round of meals that have appeared on the Wright Table. 




Bacon, Egg and Shrimp Fried Rice - WOW! This turned out so well and tasted great. The bacon bits added nice crunch and saltiness, while the peas offered a sweet little pop. The smell of the ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil was something I want in my kitchen more often. Just as an FYI, I don't have jasmine rice, so used regular old white rice. And I will go on the record to say I used a tad bit more bacon than the four ounces that were called for. This dish will definitely appear on the Wright Table again.
 



Carrot Spice Bread - You will not believe how good your kitchen will smell while the bread is baking! 


A look at the Carrot Spice Bread when cut. The recipe calls for icing on top, but I personally thought it would be overkill with the sugar and natural sweetness of the carrots in the bread itself. But hey, that's just me. 



This broccoli salad recipe was one I tagged on my Facebook timeline, much to the huge surprise of my husband and friends. It's super easy to make, and I actually kind of liked it, considering it's a vegetable. I could have cooked the broccoli just a teeny bit longer -- like 30 seconds. I'll come clean (again) and admit to crisping up some bacon to sprinkle over the top. To me this makes a nice change of pace from a regular green salad, especially when lettuce goes missing from the market. Would also make a great side dish.


Spicy Peanut and Sesame Noodles - I did my own riff on it, and we now have another "make again" dish to add to the mix. I thought I had sesame seeds, but it turns out I didn't. And of course, I couldn't find any in the few stores we stopped into. But I did have slivered almonds. Turns out they worked great for some nice crunch. Also couldn't find a red pepper, so subbed a green one. But let's discuss the sauce. It is awesome. You get a richness from the peanut butter, which if you didn't know that was one of ingredients, you would never guess. There's some nice heat from the Sriracha and everything just comes together nicely. Another nice thing is that it works well as a warm or room temp dish. Try this - you won't be sorry.



Banana Oatmeal Muffins - Made a batch of these not too long ago and was pleasantly surprised. Due to the rolled oats and whole wheat flour, these muffins are a bit denser than what you might be used to. The bananas and honey brought their sweetness to the mix, but I did cut back a bit on the amount of honey I used. We generally don't like overly sweet things, but add as much honey as to your liking. This is a great recipe for using up some of our banana crop as they ripen.



One day I made home made, whole wheat Farfalle (bow tie pasta). Easy-peasy and fun to do.

And, so those pasta pieces wouldn't be nekkid, I made a sauce that contained, among other things, red wine, chorizo, crushed red pepper, oregano, and a touch of cumin. 


Turned out great and we had leftover sauce for future pasta and pizzas.

So there you have it...food fun in Belize. Promise there will be more pics and recipes in the not-too-distant future. Really! Pinkie promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment