Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dog Biscuit Thanks

Dear Mr. Thomas:

I’ve asked my mom to write this post for me, because, well, I’m a dog. And as we all know, we canines aren’t always the best spellers or typists. Ahh, my kingdom for opposable thumbs!
Anyway, after receiving your recipe for dog biscuits yesterday, my mom decided to give them a whirl during today’s baking marathon. I was sure she would make my cookies first, but no. Instead she decided to make oven-roasted tomatoes. Do you know how long they take? I had to wait almost an hour and a half! Geez.

But once the tomatoes were finished, I saw her crank up the oven temperature and start making the cookies. You know what? Even the dough smelled delicious. It might have had something to do with the bacon fat she mixed in with the shortening. I begged and begged to taste the raw dough, but was told it might not be a healthy thing to do – you know with a raw egg and all. Funny, I’ve seen her taste test raw cookie dough -- like she did later when she made some chocolate chip cookies -- and it never was a problem. Me senses a bit of a double standard here. But I digress. Hmmm, I wonder if that's why I sometimes get called "Pinhead"?
Anyway, after she rolled out the dough and cut it into smallish pieces, she put them on a baking sheet. You know, it’s tough being a small dog. No matter how hard I tried to get my nose up to the island where the baking sheet was, I was just a little too short to snag a sample.
Then she put them in the oven. And I waited.




And I waited some more.




Thirty minutes is a long time in dog time.

But then they were done!

But wait, first they had to cool off. Sigh.

But then it was finally time for a taste test!

I wasn’t immediately sure if I liked them, so I asked for another. And another. And another.
 
 
Mr. Thomas, these are the best! I would eat them for breakfast and dinner if I were allowed. Somehow, I doubt that will happen. But, I don’t mind at all to get them after hearing the command "sit." I even got one or two when I showed off my newest trick of balancing on my two back feet. Now if I can only master the whole “fetch”, “stay”, “roll over” bits I could be in dog biscuit heaven.

Thanks again for sharing your recipe.
Olivia

P.S. I think my mom will need to make the bulk quantity next time, ‘cause I saw her give cookies to my adopted brother and sister, Sam and Tanya, and they were all smiles.

3 comments:

  1. You're very welcome. Your mom's idea for the bacon grease was a good one. Good to see a patient dog. Wish you could teach my Khan how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a wonderful mom! Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia, Pax and Allie and Sherman send you their best wishes and Thanks for sharing the cookies. Give your mom a bog wet kiss from all of us. they are grrrrrrreat!

    ReplyDelete