Monday, February 24, 2014

Our Caye Caulker Adventure - Part 2

Our second day on Caye Caulker dawned with a brilliant blue sky and a steady wind, putting David and me in great spirits to continue our island adventure. But a dark cloud came over us when we met up with Colleen and Bruce. It seems Wanda had gone missing.

They last remembered seeing her lounging in the their hammock before we left for dinner the night before.

We had hoped Wanda would join us for dinner, but Colleen said she still seemed to be in recovery mode from the day's travels and the rest time, while we were out, would probably do her a world of good. As a result, when they didn't see her when we got home, it was presumed she had found a snug spot to sleep.

It was only in the morning, after searching their cabin high and low that they realized she was gone. Now I wouldn't say that Wanda was a lizard of loose morals, but she does have a bit of a reputation for being a party animal, especially when adult beverages are around, as we witnessed the day before.

As there wasn't much we could do, we decided to go to breakfast, hope that she would return and hadn't done anything too crazy like getting her tongue pierced or some such thing.

We had heard great things about Amory y Cafe, located on Front Street, so decided to check it out. We were not disappointed. The staff is super friendly, service is great, and the food was really good. One of the different things they offer for breakfast are grilled cheese sandwiches. You can get one straight up or with tomatoes, a fried egg, and a few other options. Colleen, David, and I opted for the sandwich, but Bruce...

...Bruce spied the waffles. As this is a dish not commonly found in Corozal restaurants, he couldn't resist. And he couldn't resist heaping them with all of the fixings including bananas, Cool Whip, and maple syrup. Fortunately, he has the metabolism of a hyperactive hummingbird, so there was little worry about packing on extra weight.

Once we were finished our meal, David needed to go back to our cabin for some bandages. Seems all the walking we had done the prior day had taken a toll on his toes. While he was away, Bruce and I went to the counter to pay our breakfast bills. When we got back to our table, guess what we discovered? Yup, Wanda had returned. Colleen had noticed some movement in her backpack, and when she opened it up, there was Wanda. She did not look penitent at all, but she did look a bit bleary-eyed and there seemed to be more than a hint of alcohol on her breath. Then again, lizard breath is pretty nasty to begin with, so we could have been mistaken.

Anyway, with Wanda back among us and securely ensconced in Colleen's bag, we could continue on with our day. David caught up with us, but due to how uncomfortable his feet were, it was decided that perhaps a pair of flip-flops would be a better shoe choice.

We stopped into a store we had been in the day before and he found not only a pair of flip-flops, but a straw hat.

This dapper chapeau not only would provide some protection from the sun, but it came with a chin strap to prevent it from blowing away. A pretty handy feature considering the gusty winds we were having.

After a few more stops in stores, we decided it was time to get into our bathing suits and spend some quality time by, near, or in the water. We found a great pier over the water with four lounge chairs.

Wasting little time, Bruce got into the water and officially christened his new dive watch that was a birthday present from Colleen.

The water was a bit brisk, enough so that the rest of decided to just hang out on the pier and soak up the views.

Not a bad way to spend a Wednesday morning.

After a bit, a young lady came down the pier with her dogs. This little guy was very friendly.

He sniffed about all of our belongings, licked our fingers, and even christened the brim of David's new hat before his owner shooed him away.

At that point, we all were starting to have growly stomachs and decided to gather our belongings and find some new taste treat for lunch.

David put on his hat, turned to walk down the pier when a big gust of wind hit. Off flew the hat into the drink. So much for using the handy chin strap. He stripped off his T-shirt, got into the water, and successfully retrieved the errant hat. Of course, this now meant that he was soaking wet and made squishing noises with each step of his new flip-flops. On the plus side, the hat was now cleansed of the dog.

Fortunately the wind made the drying time fairly quick, so he was in decent shape when we arrived at our lunch destination, Friend's Restaurant. We noticed this Lebanese place the day before and just had to try their fare. David and I had Falafel, which was delicious. Bruce ordered the fresh pita bread and hummus. How he even had room after that breakfast was beyond me. Colleen ordered the tabbouleh, which she had never had before, and she and Bruce split an order of Falafel. Everything was really good, service was just fine, and with a few cold Belikins to wash everything down with, we were in great shape for the rest of the afternoon.

After such a hectic day(!), we all were in need of a nap, including Wanda who was still looking a bit peaked. We knew she was in sad shape when Colleen announced that the lizard was grounded for the remainder of our stay on Caulker and Wanda didn't bat an eyelash.

That evening we celebrated David's birthday by first going out to dinner at an Italian restaurant. Unfortunately, I have not a shred of recollection as to the name of the place. We then took a stroll down to the beach and stopped into a restaurant/bar for a nightcap. A leisurely walk back to our rooms and our second day on Caulker was a wrap. 

Hopefully our third and final day would be as relaxing and fun, with no wayward lizard issues.

Coming Up: the final installment of our Caye Caulker adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment